February 11, 2009

The water tower at Kings Gap

I trekked back up the moutain to Kings Gap to check out the water tower that I am so curious about. With all the leaves off the trees it was much easier to acquire a better snapshot of the full tower. The wooden storage tank atop the brick tower holds 10,000 gallons of water. From my understanding water is pumped to the tank from a nearby well and then gravity goes to work after that providing water to all the buildings on the property. In the Summer this tank grows mossy from the moisture and even seems to drip endlessly. I've wondered if the tower remains in use over the winter. If you check out the huge icicle in one of my shots you can tell there's still a water source. It's now taped off so again my curiosity grows wondering if some kind of construction or repairing will soon start on the structure. Would you be aprehensive going through the green door with all that water above your head? Maybe one of these days I'll have the opportunity to have a peak inside but will my curosity end there?
Stability?

1 comment:

  1. I see the huge icicle, its a beauty, plenty of water dripping there.
    Interesting old water tower, wouldn't hold a great deal of water though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit!
Hope you are blessed in some way today!
-- Holz!